How To Create Your Vignette of Curiosities or “Cabinet de Curiosités” as They Call It in France
Have you ever wanted to create a « cabinet de curiosités » or vignette of curiosities?
I’m going to give you some tips on which objects to us and where to place them.
At the end I’ll give you a little special tip!
Don’t be afraid of taking the « extravagant » route because the stranger the better, you have to draw attention with one-of-a-kind objects.
#1 Choose where in your home you want to create your vignette
It could be :
- On the steps of your staircae,
- In a little armoire,
- On a table ,
- On a mantle, etc.
#2 What kind of objects :
- Butterflies (framed, real or faux)
- Birds (porcelain, etc.)
- Small frames for small photos,
- A cute lamp,
- Small vases,
- Gold objects (letter opener, metal fruit…)
- Objects made of wire
- Antique jewelry,
- Feathers, etc.
#3 Where to find them
Start by searching for treasures in your attic or garden shed, sometimes we forget we have things😉
- Flea markets are great,
- If you can’t find that last object than check your favorite shop and buy something new.
#4 The backdrop
Very important for obtaining that « cabinet de curiosités » look, paint the interior of your cabinet or your table in a dark tone, black or dark grey are usually the preferred tones. It’ll make your objects pop!
#4 How to place your items
- Make sure your squeeze them together, things look better when there aren’t big gaps of space in between them,
- Put the tall objects in the back (of course) and then the other ones in front.
SPECIAL TIP :
Place an orchid or any other plant in your vignette, it’ll immediately bring it to life !
A bientôt mes Deco J’adore Décorateurs !